Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Success! While there is wifi widely available in Thailand, until now I have not had it at the private residences where I have been. Now that I can see what John has been posting, he is doing a such a thorough job that instead of trying to replicate him, I will try to offer my own brief observations on things that have particularly struck me in my short time here.

So where to start? Food, of course!

1. It's cheap. And when I say this, I do not mean by US standards. Even for Thai, food is relatively inexpensive.
2. It's everywhere. In my guest room, waiting for me. On the side of every road. Much like for Americans, Thais offer food ALL the time. First thing in the morning. Before bed. On the train. In the van. Soon I can envision them waking me up in the middle of the night just to bring me fruit. Food is hospitality. Food is love.
3. It's all good. Correction: it's really good, or as the Thai say, arroy mak! Curries, coconut drinks, hot soups, rice, noodles, fruit, coffee, and too many others to list. Made fresh, often from local ingredients. Street vendor food is some of the best.

I could go on and on about cao nio ma muang (sticky rice with mango), but now it is time to go visit my host family's rubber tree farm. And then to dinner. And then a snack. And then perhaps some coffee ...

1 comment:

Advance Planning Associates, LC said...

I'm getting hungry - it's all about the food and fellowship after all. Glad to know you can post on the blog too. Bring back some snacks for the Frederick County Rotary Club!