Sunday, March 7, 2010

Friday, March 5, 2010











RATCHABURI
For today's Vocational Day the local Rotarians decided to pursue my expressed interest in Thai musical traditions by taking me to a local school for a concert given in my honor by the students.
The school, although a public school (the rough equivalent of one of our middle schools), was actually part of a wat complex, the contemporary architecture of the school in sharp contrast to the traditional structure of the wat immediately adjacent to it. A four-story structure, the school was erected on three sides of a courtyard. The rooms, although completely covered, had open siding to allow air circulation. This also allowed the sounds of each classroom circulate around the courtyard, creating somewhat of a din.
About 30 students played on a great variety of musical instruments, ranging from ancient percission instruments percussion instruments to modern electric guitars (albeit with dragon's heads adorning the end of the guitar that had the tuning pegs.) One instrument that particurly intreagued me was one that looked very similar to our hammered dulcimer, although smaller and with a different tuning pattern.
The children performed exceedingly well, with great gusto and, after their performance encouraged me to try out the instruments. I surprised them with my ability to play the Asian flute (which, as it turned out, was very closely related to a penny whistle that I had purchased in Ireland.)
After visiting the school I was taken to a large local hospital which, I assumed was to catch up with Amanda, who was there for her Vocational Day. As we walked down the corridors, I saw a wing labled "alternative medicine" and thought to myself how nice it would be to have Thai massage. Lo and behold, that what I was there for, together with the entire GSE team. Since Kip and I had arrived earlier than the rest of the team, we were treated to full body massages, from our toes up to our scalps, whereas the rest of the team had to settle for foot and leg massages.
This was a far different experience than the one I had the previous weel at the Kanchanbury hot spring. Here at the hospital the massage therapists were fully trained and licensed professionals who, though kneading every muscle in my body, did so with lots of pressure but no pain. This was a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing experience. The inexpensive Thai massage experience is so ingrained into their lives , that many Thais can afford to receive them on a frequent basis.
In the evening we gave our formal presentation at a gathering of three Ratchaburi Rotary clubs, who went all out to present an event featuring traditional Thai dancers, karaoke, good food (lots of it) and an entire evening filled with an excellent exchange of friendship and goodwill.




No comments: